Friday, September 27, 2024

The rubber hit the road

When I had my first daughter the hospital required I watch a few parenting videos before I left with her to make sure I knew the basics of caring for an infant. I appreciated that they cared and took the information, along with all that I had gleaned in my 23 years and went home with my baby. Everything was great until I found one key piece of information that had never occurred to me and no one had prepared me for. My vehicle would never. be. the. same. As my baby got older the carpets of my car were introduced to barf, milk, juice, and every kind of snack that can be crushed into a soft surface. I finally wised up and purchased rubber mats for my car and have never looked back. When I got my current car that was the first thing I bought after I got the keys. My rubber mats got a spa treatment this week!
Supplies were very simple this time, dish soap and a scrub brush. I had a skinny brush that was able to get in all the small spaces in the rubber mats. 

I scrubbed the mats, sprayed them off and left them to dry in the sun. I took the opportunity to vacuum out my car really well while the mats were out of the way. 
Before 
                                                                               After
Did you know that rubber comes from trees? It's true!

I found thinking about self-determination, motivation, and autonomy really interesting both to my chosen occupation and to vehicle ownership in general. Many people have very strong feelings about what make and model of car they think is best. I have always had great experiences with Toyotas'. The things I care most about in a car is that it's reliable and gets good gas mileage but others might have strong feelings about the color or speed of their car. I have the choice to get the kind of car I think is best while my neighbor across the street chooses to drive a big truck so he can pull his trailer for work. The reasons we decide to drive the specific cars we do depends on our past experience, economic opportunity and personality.

I think the kind of car we drive has more to do with choice but the way we experience our car is a decision. What kind of music we play, who rides in it, the conversations we engage in, and how we take care of it are all part of our autonomy in vehicle ownership. 


Reference

Tracey Parnell, Gail Whiteford & Clare Wilding (2019) Differentiating occupational decision-making and occupational choice, Journal of Occupational Science, 26:3, 442-448, DOI: 10.1080/14427591.2019.1611472 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alissa, you are so correct that the car takes a beating from small kiddos. Whenever I take my car seat out, there is always an inch of random crumbs to remind me that I do not take enough pride in my car. Was this your motivation behind selecting car detailing as your new occupation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teneille! I had a few reasons I picked car detailing. My father in law is amazing at this and I knew he could help me work on a few of the projects I want to do. I also have "clean out car" on my weekly list of chores so this occupation felt like killing two birds with one stone, get the car clean and do a homework assignment. The last reason is that my car has become my place to take a break whether that's five minutes of alone time after dinner or blasting my favorite song on the way to school, it's much more peaceful to spend time in my car when it's clean.

    ReplyDelete

Her Favorite Color is Chrome

This week I worked on polishing the chrome on my car. One thing I've realized about newer model cars is that most of the chrome has been...