Friday, September 20, 2024

"Oiling and Lotioning, Lotioning and Oiling. I can't take this no more!"

 10 points for whoever can name the movie the title of this blog comes from. This week I worked on conditioning the leather seats in my car. I found a product that would both clean and hydrate the material which is not real leather but "Softex", a synthetic composite. I learned that this material is more resistant to cracking and fading than leather but still needs to be maintained to keep it looking at its best. The supplies I needed this week were Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (another Meguiars product) and a rag.  

I knew my seats needed to be vacuumed but since they're black and didn't look dirty I was surprised by how much came off on the rag after cleaning them. Again, this project was straightforward, I sprayed the product on the rag and coated all the leather surfaces. I did put some muscle behind it since I was cleaning the seats as well. My only complaint about Meguiar's products is the fragrance. Artificial fragrances give me a head ache and I don't think they're needed. Most people prefer to buy air fresheners for their car with the fragrance they want. 
Before
After
It's difficult to see the results in the pictures but I can tell that consistently using a conditioning agent for my seats is going to keep them from looking dull and will protect them from being as susceptible to rips and tears as my vehicle ages. 
Wendy Peffercorn would be so proud. 

This week I let stress get the best of me. I prioritized family and school and everything else slipped a little....my car included. I still worked on it and took it to discount tire when the notification light came on that my tire pressure was low but it didn't stay as clean this week. My sense of occupational well-being wasn't as strong as it has been previously when I was proud of the progress I had made and maintained. 

However, I do think it's important to recognize what we prioritize in life. I get to choose when certain occupations take the back burner and others are given more time. It's most important to me to give my best to school and my kids right now. If we think about the hours we have in a day and the occupations we engage in, we can rank them in order of importance to make sure we are giving the most time and effort to what we value most. As we do, some occupations may be neglected or forgotten at least for a time, which may shift our identity. What's important is recognizing when our well-being is affected and adjustments can be made to realign our priorities. While car cleaning and organization is great, part of me is wishing I had picked something active like boxing or yoga so that an occupation that is part of my identity could also be homework. I guess this tells me where I need to shift my occupations to make time for activities that improve my well-being!

Reference 

Hasselkus, B. R., & Murray, B. J. (2007). Everyday occupation, well-being, and identity: The experience of caregivers in families with dementia. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 9–20.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alissa,
    I believe that your quote is from the movie "The Sandlot" which I have not seen is quite some time! I agree with what you said about having to participate in our occupations by order of priority. Right now school and working a little bit our my main priorities. Working out, wedding planning, cleaning, hanging out with friends, cooking, etc. are all things that have been moved to the bottom of my list. I do them when I have time and need a mental break from school but they are not necessary for survival like the other things are. What are some activities that you would like to shift to that you feel will improve your well-being?
    -Moriah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Moriah! I'm not sure if it was thinking through this blog post or my body deciding it had had enough but I realized I needed to prioritize my health a little more. I brought some healthy food and prepped good snacks for me and the kids last weekend. This morning I woke up early to go for a walk with my dog (baby steps here). I'm already feeling more like myself and know that I'll continue to feel better as I make time for the occupations I know bring a feeling of well being for me. I appreciate that my body gave me the feedback I needed to get going before I let things slip too much. I'm hoping as we get used to graduate school we'll have more time for our old priorities!

    ReplyDelete

Her Favorite Color is Chrome

This week I worked on polishing the chrome on my car. One thing I've realized about newer model cars is that most of the chrome has been...